- Parks & Recreation
- Aquatic Center
- Become an Aquatic Center Staff Member
Become an Aquatic Center Staff Member
Lifeguard Training & Certifications
Red Cross Lifeguarding classes provide entry-level participants the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until EMS personnel take over.
Prerequisites to Become a Lifeguard
- Must be 15 years old on or before the last day of class
- Swim 300 yards continuously (12 lengths of a 25 yard pool)
- Tread water for 2 minutes without using your arms
- Complete a timed event within in 1 minute, and 40 seconds starting in the water.
- Swim 20 yards, Surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10 pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point, exit the water without using steps or a ladder
Participants who successfully complete the Lifeguarding course receive an American Red Cross Certificate for lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED. Valid for 2 years.
Check out a list of American Red Cross Lifeguard courses, date, times, and registration.
Water Safety Instructor Training & Certifications
This course trains Water Safety Instructor candidates to teach courses and presentations in the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program by developing their understanding of how to use the course materials, how to conduct training sessions and how to evaluate participants progress.
The courses and presentations include Parent and Child Aquatics Levels 1 and 2, Preschool Aquatics Levels 1 - 3, Learn-to-Swim Levels 1 - 6, three adult courses as well as the Basic Water Rescue and Personal Water Safety courses and more.
Prerequisites to Become a Water Safety Instructor
- Must be 16 years old on or before the last day of class
- Demonstration of swimming skill at Learn-to-Swim Level 4.
Check out a list of American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor courses, dates, times, and registration.
Aquatic Center Staff Member
The Aquatic Center Staff Members help to make the aquatic center run smoothly. Duties include but aren't limited to the following:
- Serve concessions
- Manage water slides
- Run attendance
- Perform tasks to ensure the aquatic center remains clean
Prerequisites to Become an Aquatic Center Staff Member
- Must be 15 years old
- Ability to lift and move 25 pounds
- Basic arithmetic skills
- Knowledge of computer skills
- Ability to become CPR and First Aid Certified