Stop Utility Service

Moving out? Discontinue existing service at least one week prior to your scheduled move-out date.

Have a credit balance? Request a refund check if you:

  • Are the account holder
  • Have stopped service
  • Have a credit balance after the final bill was issued for your account
  • Do not receive utility assistance

To make a refund request, call 952-876-4644. 

If you have questions or concerns call 952-873-4644 or email the utilities department.