Do I Need A Permit?

Permits, either construction or zoning related, are usually required when making a change or adding something to your property.  

Building Permits

Building permits are required when: 

  • Erecting, expanding, or changing buildings
  • Performing major maintenance such as  reroofing, residing, and/or replacing windows/doors 
  • Adding or changing swimming pools that are either over two (2) feet in height or 5,000 gallons capacity
  • Adding or replacing a deck 
  • Fire suppression systems

You don't need a building permit for painting, wallpapering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, and similar finish work

Small sheds 200 square feet or less in size don't need a building permit but they do require a zoning permit. 

Plumbing Permits

Plumbing permits are needed when adding or changing plumbing fixtures, pipes, adding a second/irrigation meter, changing out water heaters/softeners and making changes to supply or drainage systems. You do not need a plumbing permit to re-set an existing toilet in a single family home, to replace a faucet, or to make repairs to an existing fixture. 

Mechanical Permits

Mechanical permits are required to add or change out heating, venting, air conditioning systems, and fire suppression systems.

Zoning Permits

Zoning permits are required for sheds over 25 sf to 200 sf and less in size. Sheds over 200 sf require a building permit. Zoning permits are also needed for fences, sheds, driveways, concrete slabs, patios (decks require a building permit), sidewalks, and parking pads.

Right Of Way Permits

Working in, excavating, or obstructing a street, boulevard, or alley requires a right of way permit. Replacing, expanding, or altering a driveway may require a right-of-way permit. Right of way permit applicants must provide proof of insurance and  a bond/check to ensure work completed properly.

Rental Dwelling Permit

Prior to renting/letting any dwelling unit a rental license is required, regardless of the amount/type of rent paid or familial relationship with the property owner. The rental license process involves permit application and inspection. 

Change in Occupancy Permit

When the occupancy of a building changes a permit and associated review is required.  

Electrical Permits

Most electrical alterations, additions, or change-outs require an electrical permit. This includes utility service providers adding electrical back haul. 

Easement Encroachment Permit

Many lots have easements which provide for drainage and utilities.  If your project impacts an easement you must apply for an easement encroachment permit. Anything you put in an easement is at your own risk, meaning if the easement is needed for drainage or utility purposes your private property may be removed/removed and you will not be compensated. 

Business Licenses

Certain businesses require a business license to operate. 

Show All Answers

1. Do I Need A Permit?
2. What Is The Difference Between A Building And A Zoning Permit?
3. What Do I Need To Submit A Permit Application?
4. Do You Have "How To" Guides For Permitting?
5. Do I Need A Survey For My Permit?
6. What Happens If I Do Work Without A Permit?
7. I Received A Notification My Permit Expired, But The Project Is Not Completed: What Should I Do?
8. How Long Is My Permit Good For?
9. What Type Of Work On Buildings Can I Do Without A Permit?
10. What If I Have Emergency Repairs?
11. Do I Need To Be On-Site For An Inspection?
12. How Do I Set Up An Inspection?