What is a drainage and utility easement?

Typically, there is a ten-foot-wide easement adjacent to the right-of-way.  It gives the City and the private utility companies the right to install and maintain underground or above-ground utilities (water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, telephone lines, gas lines, power lines, CATV lines).

A drainage problem involving public streets, stormwater inlets, storm sewers, or drainage ditches should be reported to the Public Works Department at 952.873.6742.  If the drainage problem is on private property, the homeowner will need to determine how to correct the problem.  The responsibility to do the correction is that of the property owner. 

Show All Answers

1. My yard has been painted with different colors. What work is being done?
2. When is the water meter read?
3. Who is responsible for maintaining the wastewater line to my home?
4. What causes discolored water?
5. When and why are the fire hydrants flushed?
6. My water meter is leaking. Will the City repair it?
7. Where can I plant a tree?
8. What is a drainage and utility easement?
9. Why doesn't the City cut the grass around the stormwater ponds?
10. Who maintains the trees within the right-of-way?
11. My street light is burned out or doesn't work properly. Who takes care of it?
12. How do I report a pothole?
13. When does the City sweep the streets?
14. Water and Sewer Utilities: How do they get read and do you accept auto pay?
15. When I do get a bill? When is the payment due?
16. How Can I Reduce Water Usage?
17. Who Is Responsible For Frozen Water Service Lines?